Pediatric Dentistry Near You
A pediatric dentist is a dental specialist who has years of training and experience in managing the dental treatment and care of children and infants. Pediatric dentistry is vital to ensuring that children’s teeth, gums, and jaws develop properly, and taking your child to see a pediatric dentist in Grande Prairie, AB, is one of the best things you can do for them. At Gateway Dentistry Group, we are proud to offer pediatric dentistry near you.
When Should Your Child First Visit a Pediatric Dentist?
How to Maintain Your Child’s Oral Health at Home
When you visit our pediatric dentist at Gateway Dentistry Group, they will provide you with instructions on how to teach your child to look after their oral health. When you get in the habit of practicing excellent dental care from the start of your child’s oral health journey, you have a greater chance of instilling these practices into them for a lifetime. Good dental care habits include:
- Using a clean washcloth to clean your infant’s gums after a feeding
- Restricting the number of sugary foods your child eats
- Ensuring that any pacifiers you give your infant do not have a sweet coating
- When it is time to brush (when your child develops their first tooth), using a child-friendly toothpaste and soft-bristled toothbrush
- Teaching your child how to floss when they develop two or more teeth together
- Speaking to our dentist about dental sealants as a preventative measure for tooth decay and cavities
What is the Significance of Good Dental Hygiene in Children?
Finding a good pediatric dentist in Grande Prairie, AB, is essential to your child’s oral and overall health. Taking your child for regular professional dental cleanings and checkups will allow our dentist to monitor their development and prevent cavities. Many parents mistakenly think that cavities should not be of concern since their child will lose their milk teeth. However, if a child develops cavities, they could lose their milk teeth sooner than they should, leading to issues with bite development and adult teeth down the line. At each visit with our pediatric dentist near you, our dentist will:
- Check their mouth for any signs of gum disease or cavities
- Clean their teeth and gums and remove any plaque or tartar
- Teach your child proper oral hygiene practices
- Use various treatments to protect your child’s oral health